Sunday 15 May 2011

3. Hobbie Stuart - Answers

Here are the answers from my interview with Hobbie Stuart.

Things appear to be moving very fast for you right now; with over 14,000 subscribers and 1,500,000 (!) upload views within 6 months of joining Youtube, you’ve already built up a loyal and admiring fan base. What does it feel like shifting from unknown artist to “internet sensation”?

It feels pretty sick when I think about it. I’m proud of the work I’ve put into it. There’s still a way to go before I’m where I wanna be.. but I’m content with how things are going.

It’s clear you put a lot of effort into your Youtube videos. The production value, sound, lighting etc make it stand out from the countless thousands of covers uploaded by aspiring artists all over the world. How did working with friend and producer Alex Wells aid in your recent success?

I’d be nowhere nere where I am without Alex. He’s contributed massively. Not only is he the best musician I know but he’s also a very good friend.. when we’re working together it doesn’t feel like work at all. Always a bubble.

Your cover of Adele’s “Someone like you” has reached over 100,000 views in a month, and a clip was recently played on Greg James’ show on Radio 1. Did you know you were being played on the show? And how did it feel hearing yourself on the UK’s number 1 radio station?

I didn’t know.. I was chillin in the park and all of a sudden my phone just went on a mad one. Texts, Facebook, Twitter etc. Very pleasant surprise. I was buzzing at the time.

You’ve previously said you have been inspired by artists like Justin Timberlake, Rihanna and John Mayer, will your debut album reflect these influences, or are you planning on taking a different route in your music style?

They’ll reflect those influences for sure. It’ll be RnB but more organic and British sounding.

This process is still in its early stages, so you must be very busy. What’s in the pipeline for the next 6 months?

Writing the album.. gigs.. promotion.. improving musically.. it’ll be very busy indeed.. but I love it

Your recent debut gig at Coalition in Brighton was, by all accounts, a great success. How did it feel having centre stage at a gig in your hometown?

It was a class night. I didn’t realize how much I loved performing until that show. I can’t wait until the next one.


No comments:

Post a Comment